Total Pageviews

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Connecting...

'Freud's Psychoanalysis', I scrawled on the magnificent ruled paper, and paused to allow myself a moment of self-pity. The scrawl looked incredibly ugly on the white sheet, and I almost convinced myself that I shouldn't study. Freud frowned up at me.
The reason behind the 'almost' was the dishevelled creature in front of me, who snapped ferociously if any one of us so much as yawned. Zeenat(as her name suggested, albeit in a different sense altogether), was someone to be handled with care.

I returned to the reference book and tried to read more on the theory, but guess what? Yeah, I couldn't.
Just then, a phone rang in the row next to mine, mocking the 'Maintain Silence' sign that hung above us.
All of us jumped, and Zeenat looked ready to rip off the head of the accused. These things registered quite late in my train of thoughts.
What I first noticed was the ringtone: 'Zara zara behekta hai...'
I slipped down the train's aisle. The next thing I observed, was her face. Her stunning, stunning face.
I fell off the train.
She hastily received the call, and looked around sheepishly. The librarian admonished her sweetly, that slobbering idiot. Whatever the call was about, she started gathering her stuff hurriedly.
"Marry me?" I whispered, but not quietly enough. The library carried the echo, and everyone's gaze fixated on me instead. Zeenat's eyes were spitting lava. The others sniggered.
I don't blush, but that one raised eyebrow of 'Zara zara' must've beckoned the blood to show up in my cheeks. I started shuffling my notes nonchalantly, praying desperately that it looked nonchalant.
And then Destiny called to congratulate. My phone screamed the tune of 'Woh ladki hai kahan...' 
My legs couldn't have flailed wilder. I pressed the volume button to cut off the ringtone, but too late.
The librarian shouted his phlegm-ridden shout, ordering me to leave immediately. I didn't dare look at Zeenat or the rest of the guys. I did risk a glance at 'Zara zara', though, and was surprised to find her studying me amusedly.
She stood up, pushing her chair back lazily. Walking past my bench, she leaned in, and whispered loud enough for all to hear,"It's a yes."
The train ran right over me.



---

The story might seem a little too sweet, but this isn't a serious work. It's just the result of 'Zara zara' playing in the background while I was studying(trying to) psychology. Do comment and review.

6 comments:

Simran Malhotra said...

You should write such stuff more, because you CAN write it. Albeit, a little more cuteness would've made this read even better, but since you don't write such stuff, that's ignorable. It is a good attempt, nevertheless, in my opinion.
Also, I laughed really hard at "Zara zara."

Smriti Kumar said...

It was good. Cutesy, love-sick puppy type. A detour from your typical writings but this is refreshing and it shows that you can branch out. Also the fact that the character is a nervous wreck makes it funny and likeable.

Unknown said...

It seems as a mere retelling of a trivial incident of any normal teens' life. Don't get me wrong , those are pretty interesting at times , but this one wasn't. But aside from the content writing was as engaging and lucid as ever.( 'Slap' and 'crushed by a crush' seem to be of same genre , but were far far better and interesting). " The train ran right over me." Awesome! The train thing was brilliant , all those bits fell in seamlessly throughout the story! Were they metaphors or analogies or some other literary instruments ?

Unknown said...

That is a metaphor isn't it ? I know that ' train of thought' is merely an expression, but the way it has been further used and manipulated.. What do you call that?

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what it's called. Analogy toh nahi hai, pakka. Anyway, thanks a lot for thy review! And, tujhe 'Crushed...' isse better lagi?!

Unknown said...

'Crushed......' was indeed better , not so much the story (personally I think that was way too mushy.), but it was your pace and flow that I liked.